Friday, August 26, 2005

more IQ nonsense

'Men cleverer than women' claim

All that this particular research shows is that for the IQ test used, there is a slight variation in the success of those taking it. On average men scored 5 points more on this test. So what? I tried out several tests the other day and there was a variation of 15 points in my score depending on what test I did. When I took a general test in German I got 133 and I had done the same one earlier in English and got 126. I tried a culture-fair test and got 115 (and I couldn't even answer half the questions as it was very spatially-oriented). And I got 130 for a verbally-oriented test.

I guess these researchers have tested the results for statistical significance and concluded that they are significant, but even so I think all it shows is that men are good at passing IQ tests. All they were testing for were verbal and spatial skills, nothing about social or emotional skills. I think these men are just insecure about women's academic performance.

Men - know your limits.

3 comments:

Yewtree said...

The research was carried out by Paul Irwing and Richard Lynn - I note that the latter's research interests include eugenics. Hmmm.

The Silver Eel said...

Took a look at Richard Lynn's site, which only goes to show that smart people find complex ways to be as dumb as everyone else.

Yewtree said...

How true!