Wednesday, June 29, 2005

xenolinguistics revisited

www.zompist.com/kit.html - The Language Construction Kit

Discovered whilst surfing Karen Traviss' excellent website (shame about the frames, but there's some really good information on there). I've just finished reading her two novels, City of Pearl and Crossing the Line. Almost made me a vegetarian again, or possibly even vegan. Not sure that I'll be able to eat squid or octopus any more, just in case it turns out to be sentient.... Actually, what gives us the right to eat any other animals?

My only criticism of City of Pearl is that the Pagan character appears to be a duotheist. I liked everything else about it though. I got a bit confused at first about who all the different species were, but you pick it up quite quickly, and then you're hooked. And I really like the wess'har.

[see previous Xenolinguistics post]

No comments: