Friday, September 09, 2005

flowers

Transience:
"Leading Canadian artist, Barb Hunt, presents her first solo exhibition in the UK. Barb is interested in the rituals that surround death and mourning. Here 'rescued' flowers cascade down the gallery walls in a site-specific work that is a response to rituals in Newfoundland."


I was walking through the ArtSpace at lunchtime when I saw the artist sticking flowers on the gallery wall, so I asked her about it, and she explained that she has gathered artificial flowers from the edge of cemeteries (where they have fallen off people's bouquets) and made them into the artwork.

At last, some concept art that I can relate to!

It looks as if a lot of her work involves ritual - I did a quick Google to look at her previous stuff:

· Anti-personnel
· Dark Cloth
· PINK