Thursday, June 07, 2007

equal access

I'm hearing but I support equal communication access for the Deaf
Communications access now!

Why should Deaf people be forced to undergo surgery, excluded from most videos on the web, and generally regarded as disabled?

Accessibility of communications (such as video captioning) benefits everyone (e.g. I can't get sound on YouTube for some reason) including people with dyslexia and Deaf people.

It's not that hard to add captioning to your videos, and there's a service called Project ReadOn where you can get captioning done for free.

If you want to take part in this campaign, take a photo or video of yourself with either a sign saying "I am deaf and I deserve equal communication access" or "I'm hearing but I support equal communication access for the deaf" and send it to equalcommaccess@yahoo.com

3 comments:

Balador said...

I agree with this as long as it is possible to turn off the captioning as well.

Yewtree said...

Dunno if that's possible with web-based videos. I suppose if they were embedded Flash, you could include an action script to do that.

Yewtree said...

In fact that is how Project ReadOn works, the captions appear in a separate pop-up window.

It's a pity no-one seems to be bothering with SMIL, it was quite cool.