Monday, October 17, 2005

usability for blogs

Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)

Hmm, these are interesting. I'm not guilty of mistakes 1, 2, 4 and 6.

I tend to end up using short titles (mistake 3) because of the width of the post links bar on the side of the template. Though as I have heavily redesigned the template, I suppose I could redesign it some more.

Actually for mistake 7 - irregular publishing frequency - I disagree with what he says on this. The whole point of a blog is that it is about the white heat of responding to things, not keeping them back and posting them later.

And number 8 - mixing topics - can be overcome by good tagging (unfortunately I haven't tagged anything on either Livejournal or Blogger, very bad).

As for number 9, if future bosses can't handle my views on Iraq, Wicca, ID cards, etc., then they probably wouldn't be able to handle the rest of my personality either.

And number 10 - yes, this is an amateur blog - so what?

No comments: