Friday, August 15, 2008

torch songs

A discussion about music over at The Expulsion of the Blatant Beast led me to think about my repertoire of songs that I like to sing, and what they might have in common. Usually they're in a minor key (as far as I can tell, since I don't really understand about keys and modes and stuff) and about something sad and yearning....
There are other songs that I want to learn, but since I so seldom attend eisteddfodau these days, it's difficult to find opportunities to perform in front of a sympathetic audience (since I can't sing if there are people sniffing and tutting about non-musicians, yada yada yada).

2 comments:

Syren said...

Hi Yvonne,
You are right - minor keys.
Most sad songs are written in minor keys. Because they are generally slower, they can often be more difficult to sing that brighter, faster songs. These slower songs usually require far greater breath control.
Re: hostile audiences, bugger them - sing anyway - if they are determined not to like you, it won't matter how good you are. ;)

Yewtree said...

Thanks Syren, but the hostility of the audience actually makes me sing off-key :( Whereas friendly audiences help me to sing in tune :)