Friday, August 01, 2008

mermen

John Coulthart asks, where have all the mermen gone?

Apparently all mermen are Asian. Either that or they look like Clark Kent underwater.

This one is quite sweet in a faintly Pauline Baynes kind of way but he seems to have a bit of a problem finding his assets.

There’s a faintly Victorian one here, but it’s by David Delamare, 2001.

I guess there’s no Victorian ones because neither Simeon Solomon nor the women Pre-Raphaelites and Symbolists turned their hands to the subject.

There are some depictions of mermen in Wikimedia Commons. There's also a weird cryptozoological specimen (warning: disturbing photo of dead merman) but it looks as if it's made of papier-mâché to me, or perhaps photoshopped.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clark Kent:

Well, that's the model I had.

If someone had given me a picture of a blond guy skinny dipping instead, I would've used that.

I think my original photo reference was just happy he wasn't compared to Harry Potter this time. :)

Yewtree said...

Hello sarmonster - are you the author of the "Clark Kent" merman photo?

spacedlaw said...

Hi there. Found your blog via John Coulthart. Another merman for your collection